The basic articulations:
Adduction is incredibly difficult to accomplish. Try squeezing a pen or small object between the toes to begin activation.
The Toe CAR (controlled articular rotation)
- Start standing or with the feet suspended
- Move the big toe opposite the others at the metatarsophalangeal joint into extension
- Flex the other toes
- Then move the other toes at the metatarsophalangeal joints into extension
- Flex the big toe
- Avoid curling (flexing) the toes in the process
- Always express current end ranges
- Repeat again or in the opposite direction if desired
Tip: Try incorporating a wave pattern with the toes moving in either direction on the foot. Then try using both feet.